Dirt Bike Safety Tips
Dirt biking riding is popular but it’s very important to understand dirt bike riding safety tips in order to reduce your chances of being injured in a dirt bike crash. Simple choices like riding trails instead of racing, choosing a bike with power that fits your age and skill level, avoiding drinking while riding and wearing protective gear can dramatically reduce your risk of serious injury from dirt bike accidents.
If you or a loved one was injured in a dirt bike accident because of the negligence of another, contact a dirt bike lawyer as soon as you are able. The Bellingham bike injury lawyer can discuss your legal rights and may be able to help you recover damages for your injuries.
Dirt bike injury statistics
- ATV-related dirt bike deaths per year dropped 30 percent between 2006 and 2012. Dirt bike deaths between 2017 and 2012 have stayed at the lower rate.
- According to statistics in the Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics, more than half of dirt bike injuries bad enough for a hospital stay are caused by dirt bike racing at an official track. This is shocking considering that only a small percentage of all dirt bike riding is done at an official race track. This shows how easily motocross racing accidents can lead to motocross deaths compared to trail riding.
- According to CPSC, 33 percent of ATV deaths per year happen on paved roads verses 19 percent on unpaved roads.
- Atv vs dirt bike deaths: As reported on fairwarning.org, people involved in four-wheeler ATV crashes are 50 percent more likely to die of their injuries than people in dirt bike crashes. The two main reasons for this are that the four wheels on an ATV give riders a false sense of security, causing them to take risks they wouldn’t take on a dirt bike and the enormous weight of an ATV can crush a person when it rolls on top of the victim.
- As reported by Reuters.com, between 2004 and 2014, 28 children under the age of 18 died in an ATV crash; which translated into a rate of 1 per every 100,000 riders in this age range.
- Alcohol is a factor in almost 50 percent of ATV fatalities, 90.5 percent of ATV related deaths are males and more than 60 percent of deaths happened to riders not wearing helmets even though most riders wear them. (Source)
- Be careful when riding near trees: According to the Journal of Pediatric Surgery, 27 percent of traumatic brain injuries from ATV crashes are caused by a crash with a stationary object.
- Click here for the most common dirt bike accident injuries.
Top dirt bike safety tips
These dirt bike safety tips from dirtbikechool.org will help to keep you safe:
- Always wear safety gear including a DOT-compliant helmet, goggles, long sleeves and pants, over-the-ankle boots, and gloves.
- Avoid riding on paved roads unless you are riding a dual-purpose model.
- Riders under the age of 16 should only ride bikes with appropriate power and be supervised at all times. Since 2000, the American Academy of Pediatrics has recommended that ATV use be restricted to youth aged 16 years and older.
- Never drink or do drugs and then ride a dirt bike.
- Always ride with a buddy and choose designated dirt bike trails.
- Ride at a safe speed and slow down when turning.
- Take an in-person riding course.
Dirt bike wreck attorney
If you were injured in a dirt bike accident, seek the help of a dirt bike wreck lawyer as soon as possible. The attorney can discuss your legal rights and may be able to help you recover damages for your injuries.
If you have lost a loved one or been injured through no fault of your own, you have enough on your plate. Let an experienced accident attorney fight for the justice and fair compensation that you deserve. It is not uncommon to receive a settlement from the insurance company that is five to ten times larger with the help of a lawyer. Call the caring, tireless and experienced personal injury attorneys at Tario & Associates, P.S. in Bellingham, WA today for a FREE consultation! We have been representing residents of Whatcom County, Skagit County and surrounding areas since 1979. You will pay nothing up front and no attorney fees at all unless we recover damages for you!