Dangers of Alcoholism – Leads to Drunk Driving and Drunk Driving Accident Victims
According to the gatewayfoundation.org, alcohol is the most common addiction substance in the United States. Studies show that binge drinking over a period of time can cause serious health problems, including chronic diseases and a shortened life span. In the short term, alcohol impacts a person’s judgement and often leads to drunk driving and driving under the influence (DUI) arrests. Alcohol-related car accidents cost taxpayers $100 billion a year and thousands of lost lives.
We fight for drunk driving accident victims
Tario & Associates, P.S. has over 40 years’ experience representing victims of drunk driving car accidents. When you have been seriously injured through no fault of your own you may need a legal advocate who will fight for the settlement you deserve. A car accident attorney can discuss your legal rights and help you through the process. Free consultations and no up-front fees make hiring a car accident lawyer the right choice for many victims. Contact us today!
What is drunk driving?
According to addictioncenter.com, impaired driving, drunk driving or DUI is when a person drinks alcohol and then operates a motor vehicle before the effects of the alcohol have worn off. A motor vehicle can be a car, truck, bicycle, motorcycle, boat or even a golf cart.
Drunk driving statistics
- In 2017, 10,874 people were killed in drinking and driving car accidents across the U.S.; representing about 25 percent of all traffic fatalities that year. (madd.org)
- In 2017, more than 300,000 people were injured in drunk driving crashes. (madd.org)
- In 2015, nine percent of all drivers involved in fatal crashes during the day were drunk, versus 32 percent at night. (scramsystems.com)
- Every 24 hours in the United States, another 28 people die from being involved in a drunk driving car crash. This translates to one person every 53 minutes. (NHTSA.gov)
- Young people between the ages of 21-25 are the most likely to drive drunk.
According to drunkdrivinprevention.com, approximately 1.5 million people are arrested every year for driving under the influence of alcohol. We know that drunk driving is a serious threat to traffic safety, not to mention a public health concern. These arrests occur despite the fact that all states have restrictions on driving with a (BAC) level of 0.08 or higher (Utah’s is 0.05). BAC stands for blood alcohol content and represents the amount of alcohol present in the bloodstream. The more alcohol present, the more chance that a person’s motor skills and judgement will be impaired.
Consequences of impaired driving
The consequences of impaired driving are enormous and they include:
- Jail time
- Higher insurance premiums
- Loss of license
- Vehicle impoundment
- Vehicle license plate confiscation
- Ignition interlock device (IID) restrictions
- Mandated alcohol abuse treatment programs
- Loss of child custody
- Living with the guilt of injuring or killing someone
- Life altering injuries such as traumatic brain injury
Seek the help of a car accident attorney
If you or a loved one is dealing with an accident or injury through no fault of your own, you have enough on your plate. Let an experienced accident attorney fight for the full compensation that you deserve. It is not uncommon to receive a settlement from the insurance company that is five to ten times larger with the help of a lawyer. Call the caring accident attorneys at Tario & Associates, P.S. in Bellingham, WA today for a FREE consultation! We have been representing residents of Whatcom County, Skagit County, Island County and Snohomish County since 1979. You will pay nothing up front and no attorney fees at all unless we recover damages for you!