Not only can defensive driving techniques reduce your risk of car accidents, participating in a defensive driving class may also decrease your car insurance rate or eliminate insurance points after a speeding ticket to prevent a rise in the cost of car insurance.
It is likely that many car accidents are prevented each year by motorists using defensive driving techniques.
Defensive driving defined
Defensive driving is defined as driving in a manner that goes above and beyond basic traffic laws and procedures. It is the practice of using safe driving strategies that enable motorists to address identified hazards in a well-informed, safe way; thereby reducing their risk of being in a car accident.
Defensive driving courses
The benefits and requirements associated with defensive driving courses vary from state to state:
- The investment in time generally varies between four and eight hours.
- In some states students may take an online course or watch a DVD while in others learning in a classroom in mandatory.
What is taught in a basic defensive driving course?
The content of a defensive driving course will vary slightly from state to state based on local traffic laws but most classes contain some of the same basic information.
Use this link to find out more about Washington State’s Safe Motorist online defensive driving course. Note: The American Safety Council’s Safe Motorist course is not yet approved by Washington State.
You will learn about the following topics:
- The financial, physical and emotional toll that motor vehicle accidents take
- How psychological factors such as stress can increase the risk of car accidents
- How human factors such as driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol can increase the risk of car accidents
- How to recognize the dynamics and series of events that lead to a car accident
- Making use of safety equipment such as infant car seats and seat belts to reduce risk of injury or death in case of a car accident
- Car accident prevention techniques
How defensive driving can reduce your risk of car accidents
Car accidents are a daily threat. In fact, almost 37,000 Americans dies in car accidents every year. In most cases, car accidents are preventable: learning to drive defensively can reduce your chances of getting in an accident.
By implementing caution and common sense, these basic defensive driving tips can help to reduce your risk of being in a car accident.
If you or a loved one was injured in a car accident, contact an experienced car accident lawyer today. He will fight for the settlement that you deserve, not the one the insurance agency wants to give you.
If you or a loved one is dealing with an accident or injury, you have enough on your plate. Let an experienced accident attorney fight for the justice and compensation that you deserve. It is not uncommon to receive a settlement from the insurance company that is five to ten times bigger with the help of a lawyer. Call the caring accident attorneys at Tario & Associates, P.S. in Bellingham, WA today for a FREE consultation! We have been representing residents of Whatcom County, Skagit County, Island County and Snohomish County since 1979. You will pay nothing up front and no attorney fees at all unless we recover damages for you!