Great Daytime Visibility Reduces the Risk of Car Accidents
Visibility is incredibly important to our ability to drive safely. We know that our visibility declines when it’s dark, rainy or foggy and that car accidents increase during these times. But what about daytime visibility? Drivers tend to take it for granted and can become overly confident on a sunny day. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, there are more motor vehicle accidents during daylight hours than at night. This could be because of the glare of the sun, but also because there are typically more cars and pedestrians on the road during the day.
Top 9 tips to improve daytime visibility to reduce the risk of car accidents
There are some simple things that drivers can do to improve their daytime visibility, including:
- Make sure your windshield wipers are in good condition, checking them every six months for wear. Over time, windshield wipers wear down and reduce their ability to clear rain and snow off your windshield effectively. When your wipers leave streaks on the window, they need to be replaced.
- Make sure windshield washer fluid is topped up. This is especially important before setting out for a long drive as there is a good chance you will run into wet weather conditions, dirt or bugs that can reduce your visibility as they splatter on your windshield.
- Use daytime running lights (DRLs). If your vehicle has the option, the lights should be set to “Auto” so that daytime running lights turn on automatically. If not, be sure to turn them on manually. DRLs are absolutely essential at dawn and dusk to ensure that other vehicles and pedestrians can see you coming.
- Install LED daytime running lights. With daylight running lights running all the time, they can burn out quickly. One option is to install LED lights. Not only do they project more light, but they extend the life of the headlights and draw less power from the vehicle.
- If you are driving into the sun, use your visor and wear polarized sun glasses. It’s also a good idea to leave extra room between you and the vehicle in front of you.
- Make sure there is nothing blocking your windows.
- Make sure your side view and rear-view mirrors are clean.
- Invest in a back-up camera. Many newer vehicles come with backup cameras built-in but if you have an older model and aren’t ready to upgrade, it’s a good idea to purchase an after-market back-up camera that can help you see your surroundings as you back up.
- Invest in parking sensors. Many newer vehicles come with backup cameras built-in but if you have an older model and aren’t ready to upgrade, it’s a good idea to purchase after-market parking sensors that can help you avoid a parking lot accident.
Seek the help of a car accident attorney
If you or a loved one was injured because of the negligence of another, contact a personal injury lawyer to discuss your legal rights. Let an experienced car accident attorney fight for the full compensation that you deserve. It is not uncommon to receive a settlement from the insurance company that is five to ten times larger with the help of a lawyer. Call the personal injury lawyers at Tario & Associates, P.S. in Bellingham, WA today for a FREE consultation! We have been representing residents of Whatcom County, Skagit County, Island County and Snohomish County since 1979. You will pay nothing up front and no attorney fees at all unless we recover damages for you!