Five Car Accidents Kept Ferndale, WA Police Busy on Friday, August 3rd
Friday, August 3 was a very busy day for Ferndale Police as they responded to five car accidents on the sunny, dry and wind-free day.
Five car accidents in Ferndale, WA:
- A head-on crash on the Main Street and I-5 overpass about 2:30 p.m. According to Ferndale Police, the accident was caused by a medical issue experienced by the at-fault driver and no infraction was issued.
- A car vs. pedestrian accident on 2nd Avenue and Main Street about 4:30 p.m. Police later labelled the accident as a near-miss when it was determined that no contact was made between the vehicle and the pedestrian.
- A multi-vehicle crash at 1st Avenue and Main Street about 4:50 p.m. The accident was described as a chain-reaction crash that began when the first car failed to stop for stopped traffic. The car crashed into a second vehicle that pushed into a third vehicle. The first driver was given a verbal warning.
- A 3-vehicle rear-end injury crash at Slater Road and Rural Avenue about 6:20 p.m. This crash was also labelled a chain-reaction crash as the first driver rear-ended a second driver who then pushed into the car in front. The driver of the first car was given a verbal warning. One patient was taken to PeaceHealth St Joseph Medical Center for a possible neck injury.
- A single-vehicle crash at Hamlin Avenue and Washington Street about 9:30 p.m. A vehicle ran into a construction sign. Police found the vehicle parked a block away with a woman inside who claimed not to have been the driver. The woman had an unrelated arrest warrant and was arrested and booked into the Whatcom County Jail.
Whatcom County Car Accident Statistics
A report of 2011 by the Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT):
- Whatcom County car accident rate of 1.62 (2,520 total accidents)
- City of Ferndale:
o 0 fatalities;
o 50 injuries;
o Fatality and injury rate per 1000 population: 4.34;
o Total collisions: 140;
o Collision rate per 1000 population: 12.14.
Washington State Fatal Car Accident Statistics
- Washington State’s traffic fatality rate declined each year between 2006 and 2010. The rate in 2006 was 1.12 deaths per one million automobile miles traveled and it dropped to .8 deaths per million miles travelled in 2010.
- There were 460 deaths associated with car accidents in 2010.
- People between the ages of 21 and 25 experienced the most traffic related deaths of any group.
- More than 64 percent of all car accident fatalities between 2006 and 2010 were to the driver.
- More than 46 percent of car accident deaths occurred on state roadways, 20 percent occurred on city streets, and 31 percent took place on county roads.
- July and August are the deadliest months for drivers.
- The majority of fatal car accidents were involved in a low-speed collision, meaning driving less than 35 miles per hour.
- The overall level of traffic fatalities in Washington was comparable to the national average.
Serious Injury from Car Accidents in Washington State
- The number of serious injuries from car accidents declined from almost 3,000 in 2006 to 2,474 in 2010 (a 17 percent decrease).
- The driver was almost three times more likely to be seriously injured in a car accident than a passenger.
- July and August had the most serious injuries from car accidents.
- Forty-four percent of serious injuries from a car accident occurred in a passenger vehicle while 38 percent occurred in a pickup truck, SUV or van.
If you or a loved one is suffering from an injury as a result of an accident or error caused by the negligence of another, you have enough on your plate. Let an experienced accident attorney fight for the full compensation that you deserve. It is not uncommon to receive a settlement from the insurance company that is five to ten times bigger with the help of a lawyer. Call the personal injury lawyers at Tario & Associates, P.S. in Bellingham, WA today for a FREE consultation! We have been representing residents of Whatcom County, Skagit County, Island County and Snohomish County since 1979. You will pay nothing up front and no attorney fees at all unless we recover damages for you!