Ferndale, WA Family Narrowly Escapes Structure Fire in Sandy Point Heights
About 3 a.m. on July 15, 2018, rescue crews were called to the scene of a structure fire in the 4300 block of Decatur Drive in Sandy Point Heights, Ferndale, WA. Fire, rescue and aid crews discovered that an overheated bathroom fan had caught fire. It burnt the ceiling before dropping to the floor and burning parts of the floor.
The sound of the fan hitting the ground was what alerted one of the house’s occupants to the fire as the house’s only smoke detector had been incorrectly installed and was therefore not functional. The occupant doused the fan with water before exiting the home. The damage estimate was about $1,000 and there was no report of injuries.
Defective Product Liability
This fire was caused by a product catching fire. If it can be proved that the ceiling fan caught fire because of a manufacturing defect, the family may be able to recover damages through a product liability claim.
The purpose of pursuing a defective products claim is to gain compensation to which the plaintiff is entitled. Plaintiffs are awarded compensation based on the damages that they have suffered including pain and suffering, medical bills, and lost wages. The settlement refers to the sum of money paid to the winning plaintiff in a defective product claim or lawsuit.
Smoke Alarm Fire Safety
If you or a family member has been injured by smoke inhalation or fire in someone else’s home, you may benefit from contacting a personal injury lawyer who can discuss your legal rights. The property owner may be responsible for failing to ensure that there are properly working smoke alarms.
Every 20 seconds, a fire department is called to respond to a fire somewhere in the United States. Once a minute, a fire occurs inside a structure. Sadly, the home is the most likely place that we have of dying in a fire or fire-related smoke inhalation injury. Four out of five fire-related deaths among civilians occur in the home. Thankfully, home fires and deaths have been declining since 1977.
How to use smoke alarms to stay safe:
Smoke alarms are often the only warning that a sleeping family has that smoke and fire is spreading in their home. Use the following smoke alarm safety tips to keep your family safe:
- Purchase smoke alarms labeled with the sticker of a recognized testing laboratory.
- Ensure that smoke alarms have been installed correctly and that they are in good working order.
- Test smoke alarms every month by pressing the test button.
- Replace batteries as soon as the light is flashing.
- Buy new smoke alarms every 10 years.
- If a smoke alarm goes off in your home, get outside and stay outside until help arrives.
If you or a loved one is suffering from an injury as a result of an accident or error caused by the negligence of another, you have enough on your plate. Let an experienced accident attorney fight for the full compensation that you deserve. It is not uncommon to receive a settlement from the insurance company that is five to ten times bigger with the help of a lawyer. Call the personal injury lawyers at Tario & Associates, P.S. in Bellingham, WA today for a FREE consultation! We have been representing residents of Whatcom County, Skagit County, Island County and Snohomish County since 1979. You will pay nothing up front and no attorney fees at all unless we recover damages for you!