Doctors Found Negligent in Wrongful Death Case Involving Florida Woman Who Died After Childbirth
As reported by the Miami Herald, doctors who delayed a scheduled C-section for a Florida mom for over 14 hours have been found negligent in her death. The woman bled to death after giving birth to her last child, Lillian, in July 2015 at Broward General Hospital. A Broward County jury awarded $24.5 million to the family of the mom who was 34-years-old at the time of her death.
Doctors found negligent in wrongful death case involving Florida Woman
Lilia Torres was scheduled for a C-section delivery of her infant at 10 a.m. on July 21, 2015 but the surgery was not performed until after midnight on July 22. The team of doctors responsible for her care and named defendants admitted their negligence during the damages trial.
Damages awarded in wrongful death case
The jury awarded damages totaling $24.5 million to the family broken down as $3.675 million to her husband, $6.125 million to Lillian, and $4.9 million to each of the couple’s three older children.
5 Reasons to Hire a Wrongful Death Attorney
- Recover Appropriate Damages. An experienced wrongful death attorney knows the ins and outs of the laws in your state and will use them to your advantage. He or she will know what your case is worth based on what other similar cases recovered in damages and fight to get you the full amount. If the loved one who passed away was a primary breadwinner, you could be looking at millions of dollars in damages in a legitimate case.
- Success in Court. Many wrongful death suits are filed but then settled out of court. Those that do reach court, however, must be presented in front of a judge. A wrongful death attorney will be by your side during all court proceedings to advocate for you.
- Valuation of Damages. You may feel that you are owed damages in the wrongful death of your loved one but it would be very difficult to determine the amount that you are really owed without the help of an experienced wrongful death lawyer. Your lawyer will evaluate the particulars of your situation and compare it to other similar cases to determine an amount to pursue.
- Claiming Life Insurance. Many insurance companies use complicated legal procedures and loopholes to try and get out of paying life insurance claims as their profitability relies on denying claims. A wrongful death attorney knows how to work around these loopholes and fight for every penny of your insurance payout.
- Reassurance and Support. If you have lost a loved one you are likely in a fragile emotional position. Having a supportive and experienced wrongful death lawyer working for you can be very reassuring.
Every state has different laws around wrongful death including the statute of limitations to file a claim. Filing a medical malpractice claim is a complicated matter and should be left to a legal professional.
If you were injured because of medical negligence or lost a loved one due to a preventable medical error, you have enough to deal with. Let an experienced medical malpractice attorney fight for justice on your behalf. It is not uncommon to receive a settlement from the insurance company that is five to ten times larger with the help of a medical negligence lawyer and wrongful death attorney. Call the most experienced practicing medical malpractice attorneys Bellingham has at Tario & Associates, P.S. today for a FREE consultation! We have been representing people injured by medical negligence in Whatcom County, Skagit County, Island County and Snohomish County since 1979. You will pay nothing up front and no attorney fees at all unless we recover damages for you!