Couple Dies in Motorcycle Vs Truck Accident on Chuckanut Drive
As reported by KGMI, a couple from Granite Falls has died after crashing their motorcycle into another vehicle on Chuckanut Drive on Saturday, July 25. The couple was riding their Harley Davidson south at Soundview Road north of Larrabee State Park when they crossed the centerline on a curve. After crossing, they crashed into a pick-up truck driven by a Bellingham man. The couple was taken to PeaceHealth St. Joseph Medical Center where they later died; the driver of the pick-up wasn’t hurt.
Motorcyclists are very vulnerable in accidents
Because of the sheer size difference and lack of protection, motorcyclists are very vulnerable to serious injuries and death when they are involved in a collision with a car or truck. It is very common for motorcycle riders to be thrown from their motorcycle upon impact. Statistics provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) show that motorcyclists are six times more likely to be injured and 27 times more likely to die in motor vehicle crashes than passenger vehicle occupants. For every mile traveled, motorcyclists have a fatal accident risk that is 35 times higher than a car driver.
Common injuries suffered by motorcyclists include:
- Traumatic brain injury such as concussion and brain damage.
- Biker’s arm where nerves in the upper arm are damaged, leading to permanent paralysis.
- Road rash and soft tissue damage from sliding across the road.
- Facial disfigurement.
- Internal bleeding.
- Organ damage.
- Joint injuries.
- Breaks to the pelvis, shoulders, ribs or limbs.
- Amputated limbs.
- Spinal injuries.
Motorcycle vs truck accident
When the motorcycle crossed over the centerline, it failed to yield the right-of-way to the truck in the oncoming lane. Without any other reporting, we don’t know what caused the motorcyclist to cross over the center lane but the five most common causes of motorcycle accidents are:
- Inexperienced rider. It is very common for people to start riding motorcycles before they have the skills to do so safely.
- Riding while intoxicated. Nearly 40 percent of all single-vehicle motorcycle fatalities involved alcohol in 2018.
- Left-hand turns. Unfortunately, drivers sometimes turn left right into a motorcyclist that they fail to see coming toward their vehicle in the opposite lane.
- Driving over the speed limit or traveling too fast for road conditions is a common cause of motorcycle accidents.
- Inattentive driving/riding. In many cases, motorcycle vs. motor vehicle accidents happen because the other driver does not see the motorcycle.
The number one safety issue for motorcycles is vehicles not seeing them. It is vital for drivers to check their blind spots and mirrors and use their turn signals every time they change lanes or want to pass another vehicle. In addition, drivers should be extra careful to avoid distractions such as cell phone use during motorcycle season.
Riders can help to protect themselves by taking a defensive driving course and wearing protective gear including a DOT-compliant motorcycle helmet, gloves and full-body clothing made of leather or heavy denim.
Seek the help of a motorcycle accident attorney
If you or a loved one was injured because of the negligence of another, contact a personal injury lawyer to discuss your legal rights. Let an experienced motorcycle accident attorney fight for the full compensation that you deserve. It is not uncommon to receive a settlement from the insurance company that is five to ten times larger with the help of a lawyer. Call the personal injury lawyers at Tario & Associates, P.S. in Bellingham, WA today for a FREE consultation! We have been representing residents of Whatcom County, Skagit County, Island County and Snohomish County since 1979. You will pay nothing up front and no attorney fees at all unless we recover damages for you!