jones act

If you have been injured on a commercial fishing or crabbing boat, while working on or near a dock, or some other vessel on the sea you may need to seek the help of a maritime injury attorney. He or she will make you aware of your rights and help you understand how best to receive compensation for your injuries in order to protect yourself and your family.

Maritime Law

Maritime law, also called admiralty law, is a specialized area of the law meant to protect seamen, longshoremen, and other maritime workers such as fish processors and dock workers. When these workers are injured due to the negligence of an employer or other party the Jones Act is implemented.

Jones Act

The Jones Act is federal legislation that protects American workers injured at sea. If you or a loved was injured while working at or by the sea, you may be entitled to recover damages under the Jones Act. Damages may include compensation for pain and suffering, lost wages, lost earning capacity, loss of enjoyment of life, and medical expenses.

How do I choose the right maritime injury Lawyer?

Here are some things to weigh before choosing a maritime injury lawyer:

  • If you are looking at law firms with more than one attorney, identify which attorney will be handing your maritime injury case as well as their paralegal and anyone else who may end up involved.
  • Choose a lawyer with specific, verifiable experienced managing maritime injury cases. You can begin your search online by looking for attorney reviews, reputation, and successful cases closed.
  • A legitimate maritime injury attorney will have relationships formed with experts or specialists in various areas of the maritime industry plus healthcare; these are the experts who may be needed to help prove your case. Ask about these relationships before you settle for a lawyer.
  • Maritime injury laws are specific to states. Be sure to choose a maritime injury lawyer who represents clients in the state where the accident or injury occurred, or who can form a relationship with legal counsel in other jurisdictions if needed.
  • Take advantage of the free consultation and schedule one with each lawyer or law firm that you are considering. Come prepared with a list of questions and concerns and make an assessment about whether you will be able to have a good working relationship with the attorney before committing.

A maritime injury falls under a specific category of personal injury and should be handled by an experienced maritime injury lawyer. At Tario & Associates, P.S., we have been serving clients with maritime injuries from Alaska, Washington State, Oregon, and California for over 35 years.

If you or a loved one were injured in an accident, you have enough to deal with. Let an experienced accident attorney fight for the full compensation that you deserve. It is not uncommon to receive a settlement from the insurance company that is five to ten times bigger with the help of a lawyer. Call the caring accident attorneys at Tario & Associates, P.S. in Bellingham, WA today for a FREE consultation! We have been representing residents of Whatcom County, Skagit County, Island County and Snohomish County since 1979. You will pay nothing up front and no attorney fees at all unless we recover damages for you!